Words and pictures supplied by Pat Gillett:

My fish of 16 lb 7 oz which kicked my month off.

Thursday 1st August 2013 – River Derwent

I have detailed this trip elsewhere on the blog, so to save me repeating anything please go to http://www.questbaits.com/blog/pat-gilletts-16-lb-7-oz-barbel-on-quest-baits-special-crab for details of this trip.

Sunday 11th August 2013 – River Dove

This was my first trip of the season to the Dove and it was actually lower than on any of my trips last season. With this in mind, knowing that the fishing was likely to be tough, I picked a quiet stretch which sees little if any pressure from other anglers as I wanted everything in my favour with little chance of me fishing on top of other peoples bait from the Saturday.

I was joined on this trip by my brother David who after sampling some French carping with me earlier in the year was keen to see what the barbel fishing was like on these ‘smaller’ rivers. He had fished the middle Severn with me some years ago, but fishing rivers like the Dove are totally different really.

We arrived at about 4.30pm, with me pleased to see not another car in sight. The river was crystal clear and after having a good walk along the stretch I was disappointed not to see a fish of any sort. When it’s like this all you can do is fish where you think they should be. I know from previous knowledge this stretch does not hold many barbel and so picked what looked like a classic small river barbel swim. This was at the bottom of a shallow pool where the river ‘deepened off’ under some far bank trees, the main flow was also under these tree’s, so it was perfect really.

The upstream rod carried a trimmed 15mm Special Crab boilie, whilst the downstream rod was fished with a pellet hook bait. Both rods were fished with feeders carrying a mix which is slightly different to Shaun’s. My mix is

My feeder mix

made up with equal amounts of the mini mixed pellet / naked hemp / crab micro feed and 6mm halibut pellets. A few crushed up boilies (crab / Rahja and Ghurkka Spice) are added. The whole lot is mixed and then scalded. Once I have the consistency required I will later add a few dry pellets and chopped boilies. I don’t like to have too many boilies in the mix for clear water conditions but will add more if there is colour in the water.

We were fishing by about 6pm and one or two knocks on the rod tips showed there were fish of some sort in the swim. Just on sunset the downstream rod bent round slowly and after a really good fight an immaculate barbel was in the net. This one had a particularly large tail and anal fin and so you could see where it had got all it’s power from. It weighed 11 lb 1 oz and made a real

11lb 1oz – a nice sunset and a cracking fight!

impression on my brother with the explosive nature of it’s fight.

The rest of the evening saw a few knocks and plucks with David landing a couple of nice chub, both around the 4 1/4lb mark. These fish also falling to the downstream rod. In fact the upstream rod never produced a knock all evening. This can often be the case when fishing 2 rods on  a small river. It was nice to spend a few hours out with my brother and he commented on how nice the ‘atmosphere’ was and on the power of the barbel he had seen.

Thursday 15th August 2013 – Upper Trent

Back to the ‘new stretch’ again for another trip. Once again there were no other anglers present and another short evening session produced two barbel, both around the 8 1/4lb mark and both to the special crab.

I have had quite a few fish from this stretch now but have yet to have double, it makes me wonder if I am chasing something that isn’t there. Then again with the ‘Upper Trent’ you just never know, the biggest fish are definitely ‘travellers’ and don’t seem to stay in any one area for any length of time. A lot of area’s seem to produce numbers of fish up to around the 12lb mark, that will stick around for a while but as I have already said the very big fish just don’t seem to stick around. I have fished one particular area ‘on and off’ for quite a few years, the biggest fish we have caught there is just over 12lb and yet I have lost one fish (which I got a clear view of) that was at least 2 to 3lb bigger. Never seen or heard of one that size in that area before or since. The same thing happened even further upstream where a couple of barbel of truly huge proportions were caught one season but again have not been seen since.

Wednesday 21st August 2013 – River Derwent

Once again, Geoff and myself were the only ones on the whole length. With the bright clear and hot conditions I chose to fish in amongst all the streamer weed. A very quiet evening with little sign of fish activity which saw just the one bite from a barbel which powered off downstream when the hook pulled out after about ten seconds. When you consider the average size of the barbel I have had from the river so far, you can understand me feeling a bit gutted! Once again the bite came to the trimmed down special crab.

Thursday 22nd August 2013 – River Derwent

I fished the swim where I had the big fish from on the 1st of the month (a good half a mile away from yesterday’s swim). A totally ‘dead’ night on the river without so much has a ‘wrap’ on the rod tips. As I have said before, I don’t believe there are many barbel in this area, but they are of an excellent average size and do tend to move around a good deal.

From 9pm until 11pm (when I was expecting to catch) I was continually wiped out by great big rafts of weed (every 15 minutes). This was something which I found hard to understand as the river was really low (about 0.6m on the E.A website) and was falling. Anyway, whatever was causing it, it definitely ruined the evening.

There were some tremendous colours in the sky!

Friday 30th August 2013 – Upper Trent

This was another short evening trip, but this time to a stretch of the river I hadn’t fished for years and in a swim I hadn’t fished before.. With the river still being really low and clear, I chose a swim with a good flow on the inside, some weed beds and about 30 yards above a nearside bush, hoping that with the clear conditions there would be some barbel taking refuge under the bush and in the weed. With steady feeding I was hoping to draw any fish present up to me.

A really strong ‘facing’ wind made the fishing uncomfortable and almost impossible to detect any knocks on the rod tops. Also once again the loose weed coming downstream was a pain in the a**e leaving the rods constantly bent double. This is often the trouble on the Upper Trent, half the time you are struggling to fish properly. When the weed is a problem, I use long hook lengths (up to six feet) to try and ensure that bait isn’t being ‘masked’.

A very quiet night with no fish movement but some tremendous colours in the sky and just as it went dark the sky went really black and I was praying it wasn’t going to rain as the swim I was in was too tight even for my little 45 inch brolly. Anyway the rain kept off and I had just the one bite, which came just before packing up at 10.45pm. After a good fight a nice long lean barbel of 10lb 2oz was in the net to save a blank. This fish fell to the special crab.

So not many hours on the bank this month, but a variety of venues and doubles from three different rivers, lets see what next month brings!


Pat Gillett


Related posts